Friday, January 7, 2011

Gone to Carolina in My Mind...

This is a little bit I jotted down when my folks were with me over the holidays.

My dad is 75.  Thank God he’s healthy and active and I am blessed with the opportunity to enjoy time with him.

Tonight he is sitting, playing his guitar, learning James Taylor songs.

In my mind, I’m gone to Carolina…

I remember hours as a kid, sitting and listening to him singing.  Learning enchanting folk songs… Little boxes, Abiyoyo and of course, the Fox Went out on a Chilly Night.  We sang.  We learned Pete Seeger and other classics.  Moments to be bottled up and saved for a time you need an infusion of sweet memories.

My dad has recently rediscovered his love of the guitar.  So here we sit, harmonizing while he strums.  I’m more in love with James Taylor (if that’s possible) for giving us this moment in time.

He says goodnight you moonlight ladies,
Rock-a-bye sweet baby James,
Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose,
Won’t you let me go down in my dreams,
And rock-a-by sweet baby James.

http://thesoundprincess.com/2010/08/jt/

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time
Any fool can do it
There ain't nothing to it
Nobody knows how we got to
The top of the hill
But since we're on our way down
We might as well enjoy the ride



Seems only right to pay homage to the man, the myth, the legend…  James Taylor’s website is beautiful and includes on line guitar lessons with James himself. 

Another fun site my dad discovered is Chordie.  If you are learning to play the guitar, Chordie is a great site that includes words and cords for many songs and allows the learner to transpose the song to different keys as preferred.  (http://www.chordie.com/)


No comments:

Post a Comment